Saturday, October 9, 2010

Well I have been cooking out of cast iron frying pans for the last year or so now. They were handed down in the family. Not to me of course but I got a hold of them eventually because they are so cumbersomely heavy. That doesn't bother me at all, I am "strong like bull".  A lot of the recipes I see call for a Dutch Oven. So I had been looking in my periphery when I am out and about.  I did see a Paula Dean oven at Wally's for around 60-90$? I can't remember. Then I thought of Harbor Freight and looked online, and there it was! $24.00 and the reviews really were not bad at all. I even think you could fit a medium sized possum in there! I am very excited to do some cooking in this! My first recipe with it will be the Swiss Steak.  You can even use the lid to cook biscuits or bacon!
I know this is mainly for camping but I will be using it in the home. When I do get my wood burning stove I will get just that the one with the cook top. Just in case I really am off grid..........never off griddle...........

2 comments:

  1. The Swiss steak turned out FAB, unfortunately I can see since this is a 5 qt, I will be eating my creations for at least 3 meals........but it was sooooo gooooood

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to freeze leftovers for those days when you are too tired to cook! Glad you like your new toy! daisy

    ReplyDelete