Sunday, November 7, 2010

Got Milk? Coffee? Tea? or Me?



On the porch and the coffee is gooooooood.

As I poured myself yet another cup of coffee today, I had a question for myself. I have been trying to change over my regular habits to healthy, organic and greener habits. For YEARS I have always drank my coffee with sweet and low and powdered creamer. I became addicted to powdered creamer when I was pregnant with my daughter 25 years ago. I became a "sweet and low" fanatic a few years after that. So when I started becoming this health nut, I was appalled at what I had been doing to my body for so many years. And honey, I am not one of those 1 or 2 cups a day girl. I like a nice cup of coffee around 2 in the afternoon and I make a pot of coffee every night around 7 pm. It does not affect my sleep whatsoever! I did finally break myself of the habit of having to have a sweet (slice of pie or cake with frosting sweet) with my 7pm coffee. I said break not totally quit.......
I cannot and will not give up coffee. I have bought organic herbal coffee and I do have a jar of Caffix in my work desk that I do like occasionally. But I love coffee.

After listening to a podcast on More Hip than Hippie about Raw Milk, for cream I now make my own. I buy heavy cream, which I use for cooking etc. and I mix 1/2 heavy cream and 1/2 water. Why, because heavy cream is the least pasteurized. I mix it with water because I do not need the calories or the heaviness. I do not mix it with regular milk because I would be defeating the purpose of less pasturization.  I like the idea of Raw Milk. I have not had any yet but plan to soon. I found a dairy in Medina that sells it. Once I move to that area I plan to buy my milk from them. I could get my own goats and have my own milk and maybe one day I will. I have not had goats milk either. So I need to try that. I do love the cheese. So a couple things to add to my list of "to do's" Maybe I will take a ride out to get the Raw milk and blog about it!
As for the Sweet and Low, I have found Sweet Leaf, it is the most natural sweetener that I have found. Please, please, please do not believe everything you hear about Truvia. It is processed and owned by Cargill. The same thing about Agave nectar, the real true Agave nectar is produced solely in Mexico
So do your research! I used to feel so guilty about one of my guilty pleasures. I feel better now when I have my coffee. And mmmmmm I smell it now........

No comments:

Post a Comment